Sunday, January 30, 2011

Abandoned

Abandoned resolution. Pen &  ink 190 x 170 mm.©Sue Pownall 2011
First a note to the poor person looking for Eritrean men: there are none here. This weeks stats show another search result for "eritrean men", without cute this time, sending the poor person here. Oh well, I hope you liked the drawings.

The illustration above was done as an entry into Convozine's January illustration challenge. With only 2 days before the deadline I am not giving myself any chance to get a people's award, nor do I expect to win the competition. However, I entered as I need to increase my body of work and to keep publicising my name as an illustrator.  My Convozine January Challenge is here.   It is working too, as they are promoting my drawing on the site.

A while ago Frank of frankswatercolours asked about my Shropshire hen house drawing-
"I'm wondering how you went about this, a few lines all over and gradually build up or do you work on one small area at a time?". 
To answer, after an initial pencil drawing, I outline the whole picture with a pen. I realised that however carefully I do the initial drawing I do not see until I ink. Really, the pencil lines were virtually ignored as I drew the above. Next I build up in like sections eg. here the soles of both shoes, then shadows on the floor etc. As my drawings are between A4 - A3 in size I find it is important to build up the whole picture. With every drawing there is a point where it looks very amateurish, but I know I have to keep building up. Generally, there is a point where it could be called finished, but experience has shown that it still needs the tones strengthening. My new technique is to stick a drawing on the wall and keep coming back to it as I notice new things. Hope that helps you Frank.

16 comments:

  1. Wonderful Sue... I voted for your work...
    However it turns out, I think you do beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful illustration, Sue...love the cross-hatching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely drawing and lines. I especially like the way you have drawn them on page. Did you arrange them or artfully toss them

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Marian, I saw you voted. 19 awards so far and 73 views, which is great :D

    Alissa, a bit of both. I threw them down several times and drew a prep/planning sketch each time to get the best composition.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, that's nice work, great composition too. Maybe I'll sign up and vote too. Just woke up now...kind of early

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent work Sue, I like the shading between the two shoes, good composition too.
    Votes? I will have a look and see if I can vote for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is just fantastic Sue! Illustration is definitely your thing!
    It's interesting to read how you go about your drawings too :0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! This is terrific! I like the quality of the lines and the overall composition!

    Votes? You need votes? I'll look into it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is good! And congrats on the coverage.

    I find scanning an image and viewing it on the computer screen helps me spot where it needs more work. Usually...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the info on how you set about your work Sue. It's fascinating to see how you build up an illustration.
    When I use ink, I too find that my pencil lines are only a guide to where the ink lines should go.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great work Sue....will go and explore Convozine now and see if I have to sign up to vote. Appreciate the surrender post too......

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks everyone. I must admit I wasn't too happy with this when I finished it, but it's growing on me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your work Sue. And thank you for describing your process- I can't tell you how much that helps.

    Keep building! You were born to draw!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sue, this drawing is amazing!!! It caught my eyes instantly. An it works so well on the theme. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful beautiful pen work. This kind of stuff is really inspirational to me. When I do pen, I usually re-do the whole drawing, though I guess I like to have the pencil there as a kind of reference (which, like you said, I usually ignore).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment.