Saturday, February 12, 2011

IF Sweater

Sweater II. W&N Calligraphy ink on drawing paper. 290 x 210mm. ©Sue Pownall 2011
After giving myself a headache with the joint concentration of finishing a pen and ink drawing and using new glasses, which are too strong, I thought I would have some fun. I have an idea for a drawing, which needs some blue ink, so after buying the blue I wanted plus some yellow, I sat down to draw my discarded jumper (UK for sweater). For the first version I drew directly on watercolour paper with an ink pen. Then I used a brush to slosh the coloured inks on mixing on the paper. I wasn't sure I liked how the paper soaked up the ink, so I did version 2 without any pre-drawing on smooth drawing paper.
Sweater I. W&N Calligraphy ink on watercolour paper. 290 x 210mm. ©Sue Pownall 2011
 In case you can't recognise it as a sweater, here is a photo.

I'm not sure which version I prefer, so I posted them both. What do you think?

15 comments:

  1. I prefer the first which could serve you as a picture of lots of wool for a sweater as well.
    The first painting looks like it's done more spontaneously and with more flair.
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I prefer the first because it looks a little more defined :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first has a lot of energy to it! The colors are well served by their ink contours! But I also like the second for the lack of black. My vote goes to the first!

    Do you think sometimes that when we attempt a second drawing/painting that is turns out lacking the initial "enthusiasm"? I am speaking from personal experience!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you ladies mean the one at the top? Or the one titled Sweater I, which is the lower one?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love them both, the way the color flows. And the colors are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, for one, was referring to the top painting, the one with the ink drawing, which appears "first" to me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. On second look, I assumed the "first" one was the one with the ink drawing, but it is named Sweater II. That's the one I like because it looks more energetic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweater II, the one at the top of your post gets my vote...great colours on both

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the first one as well. It looks soft and more inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh darn. I mean the first sweater as in the one at the top of the post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I prefer the first.

    Hughs.

    wawos

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I prefer the top one because of the energy too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the knots and the flow of the first one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the top one Susan...It just has more depth and contrast. Love the colors you chose. Nice! Oh and your Saiq window is amazing!! Wow! What detail! Hey thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment.