Thursday, November 17, 2011

On the trail of a nomad.

© Sue Pownall 2011

For those of you kind enough to ask where I am and what I am doing here's a quick update, although these first photos may give a clue...
1st sunset © Sue Pownall 2011
In September I expected to return and stay in Qatar, however as I wrote in October's post WoOZ life sometimes has different ideas for us. A few people thought I was being mysterious about my plans: I wish I had been. The reality was that being left in the lurch without a job, which I must have to pay the mortgage and normal day-to-day expenses, I honestly didn't know what I was going to do or where I was going to do it, other than temporarily return to the UK.

A few days after the Edinburgh trip, I flew out of Heathrow to return to Oman, which I had left end of 2009, returning to work for my first Omani company. This time I am not in the capital, but in the interior in a town called Ibra, working for the A'Sharqiyah University.  I had my first real exploration around today, visiting the souq and one of the older parts of this town - it's actually like a series of villages. 
Watermelon seller © Sue Pownall 2011

So far I have not done any drawing, but picked up a goat's skull today, which I may draw tomorrow. I have damaged it slightly as it was quite fresh, so I used several kettlefuls of boiling water to clean it, then realised some of the very soft nasal bone has fallen away. Still it's better than any left over goat or germs hanging around I think. It is now sitting on the windowsill scaring the neighbours.

14 comments:

  1. Glad you have a job and a place to settle down in! Hope it works out nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do get around! :) Love the photos, especially the shadow of the palm on the building. I always have wanted to paint a palm tree, I should do it then cross it off the bucket list!

    A relief I'm sure to have a job and some security.

    I too have bit of bones and heads lying around in varying stages of bleaching. Its an built in trait for artists I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Lol, I could never pick something up like that! I'm too squeemish! And thanks for that oh so graphic description... NOT! Lol!
    I just LOVE that phot of the old man with the melons! It is just BEGGING you to paint him isn't it??? I am really glad to hear you have settled again for a while and it must be nice to be in a familiar country but in a new place to explore. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm looking forward to seeing your drawing of the Goats skull. Great photo's, especially the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wondered where you were. (You certainly live up to your nomadic name) Looking at your photographs, I'm sure you will be inspired to start sketching soon, double yuk for the 'fresh' goat's skull!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to hear that you are back in employment - and of course back to being a nomad again, Sue. Not sure I could handle picking up (and certainly not washing out) the 'fresh' goat skull either! Love the palm tree shadow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the comments.

    To clarify, it is at skeletal stage, just some of the insides weren't 100% clean.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember my Mum was less than thrilled to find a manky sheep's skull in a bucket of bleach in her kitchen... this was back when I was a student and we had a location drawing project on Dartmoor. The local sheep were surprisingly unbothered by our presence but if they got in the way a loud "Mint sauce!" soon had them scarpering away. Happy days!

    Good to hear you're settling in and love the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great shots. I especially like the top one.
    I'm anxious to see the goat skull drawing(s?).

    Sounds adventurous, traveling the world looking for a job! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope we get to see the skull drawing!
    What fun adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't imagine being left in a far away place with no job no nothing...

    You constantly amaze me, Sue.

    Good luck in your new position... such great photos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful photos!
    Wow, that watermelon seller can't go anywhere until he has sold some!
    And I'm curious to see the results of drawing the skull.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sue, you are back in Oman?
    wonderful place to draw!
    I am looking forward to your sketches there!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Calling by to play catch up after completing our olive harvest, only to discover you are on a new adventure. You must be relieved to have work even if it is somewhere different.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment.