Thursday, March 8, 2012

International Women's Day 2012

Meskina - Quiet Wisdom. Pen & ink 350x230mm ©Sue Pownall 2012

Observed since the early 1900s, International Women's Day is annually held throughout the world to inspire women and celebrate achievements. You can read more about it here.  
"Every year the United Nations choose a different worldwide theme for Women’s Day and many events take place... marking the economic, political and social achievements of women. Their theme for March 8th 2012 “Empower Rural Women – End Hunger and Poverty”." Source LindyLou at News From Italy

Whilst this year I am not involved with an event, I am posting my latest Festival Face portrait, which is of a woman who has had a very hard life and matches the UN theme. The title has been elusive, despite lots of good suggestions in response to my competition - thank you - apart from Meskina (Arabic for poor woman) which has remained in my head.

As in the tradition of all competitions, I picked a winner.
& the winner is...

Esther Hardman with Quiet Wisdom.

Esther please use the contact form above to send me your snail mail (postal) address, 
so I can get your prize in the post.

*****
Photo reference supplied and used with the permission of Ahmed S. Al-Harthy.
Please check out his fabulous photos at Ahmed S. Al-Harthy Photography