Saturday, February 9, 2013

Dreads & tats

Gaby, Charcoal A3© Sue Pownall 2013
Whilst in the UK I went to 2 more life drawing classes. As with drawing Terry I took charcoal to draw with as I'd had such fun before. In the 2nd class, I also tried using watercolours directly without under-drawing. I think as a side-effect of drawing portaits for my Festival Faces series, with both models I ended up drawing portraits during the long poses. Gaby was so pleased with my drawing of her that she took a photo of it. Below are other drawings of Gaby.
Gaby reclining. A3 Direct painting with Payne's Grey watercolour
Gaby A3 watercolour.
The day before I left UK, I got to draw Rachel and her tattoos again. I drew her before in September 2011 and you can see those drawings here. With the first long pose I drew the charcoal portrait below, which I think is a fair likeness. Then did the rough full body drawing. Can you tell I was pre-occupied with what I had to do before my flight the next morning?
Rachel Charcoal A3 © Sue Pownall 2013
Rachel in charcoal A3
Finally,  I drew another portrait of Rachel as a concerted effort to focus and relax.
Portrait in sepia pencil on A3
*****
Please note: I am switching over to blogging through my site, www.suepownallartist.co.uk/blog-art-of-a-nomad and plan to stop duplicating posts here. May I suggest you adjust your RSS feeds and readers to follow there?

6 comments:

  1. These are great, Sue. GabyA3 is particularly fine--love the splash of color and pose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Sue! Now I'm adjusting my feeds. See you on your other site!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great drawing, even the distracted one, must have been interesting to draw the tattoos too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous drawings - I like the watercolour ones the best. Not sure I'd have the patience to include the tatoos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Sue, my favourite is Rachel in charcoal A3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that sepia portrait, Sue.. Just really lovely.
    I need to catch up with your travels. Didn't realize you'd gone back to the UK... I will read up.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment.