Thursday, February 6, 2014

In a hole with London Urban Sketchers

l-r Nathan, Evelyn, myself, & James
What seems like years ago, but was in fact only mid-January, I had the pleasure of meeting some of the London UrbanSketchers for a drink and draw session. James Hobbs, who I met at the Sketching Jack's London event last summer (my blog post's here), chose and arranged for us to meet in The Coal Hole on London's Strand, along with Nathan Brenville and Evelyn Rowland.
Nathan
James using his trademark large marker.
Due to having traveled up to London straight from seeing dad in hospital, my concentration/will to sketch wasn't too high, though I loved chatting to the others. I sometimes think that's the best part of the sketchy gatherings, that and seeing what equipment the others are using. I drew some portraits as a warm-up then drew this couple standing by the bar. I spotted they had a whole bottle of wine, so guessed they would stay there a while, which they did.
Pen & watercolour in A5 sketchbook

6 comments:

  1. I'm sure i am nowhere near brave enough for an event like this... but maybe one day :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that is really cool - being down in the hole with these folks. Nice sketch! I am sorry that this was not your day (and everything you and your family have had to go through). I can relate - some days are better than others for sketching. Today I found myself in a government office waiting room for hours and the people-sketching was glorious!! And the folks sitting by me enjoyed it too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like fun! And I like your sketch!
    Thank you for all your kind comments on my blog. They are very encouraging :)
    I think of you often lately and hope you are doing ok.
    Let me know next time you're in Europe so we can try to meet to sketch in a cafe somewhere :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really admire how you can sketch on the spot with such confidence adn with such wonderful results. I think that's a sign of a strongly skilled artist. It sounds like you had a meaningful experience with your fellow artists: good food and drink, good scenery, good friends, and making art!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It must have been a real fun meet. What a name "Coal Hole"
    Like that last sketch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a lovely meeting of sketchers. I like your method of determining how long people may stay to be drawn! A very nice sketch of drinkers too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment.