Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Sketching Muscat Festival 2012 II

Brothers, pen in A5 sketchbook © Sue Pownall 2012

Yesterday afternoon I returned to the festival site in Qurum park, sketchbook in hand. My focus was on the other activities in the Heritage Village starting with a man demonstrating the old way of threshing using a palm frond. As a warm-up sketch it's captured the movement, but I think he's a little short in the drawing.
Thresher, A5 sketchbook ©Sue Pownall 2012
My second drawing was a portrait of a wood carver. He was making items for yokes and harness to be used with oxen or mules. I loved his face and scraggly beard and am very pleased with the result. I took several photos of him too, which will be on flickr later.
Wood carver, Pen & ink, A5 sketchbook ©Sue Pownall 2012
My final sketch of the evening was done whilst sitting with the Omani women waiting for a parade of performers. In front of me sat the two brothers in my top sketch. They caught my attention as they were in thick winter coats and wooly hats. I know it is winter here in Oman, however the evening temperature was about 18c, which hardly warrants such clothes. I had a child sat next to me who was fascinated with my every move, whether drawing, checking my phone, or taking photos.
Waiting ©Sue Pownall 2012

Something that amused me throughout the evening was the swarms of photographers, mainly from the Omani Photographic Club who are a very talented group. I am still trying to decide on the correct collective noun, however as there was often one subject surrounded by 20 photographers, a swarm seems appropriate. This is not a great photo but you can get the idea.

A swarm of photographers.
******
NB: All sketches are completed 100% at the Muscat Festival and are drawn from life.
Just finished the sketch.