Saturday, March 17, 2012

Lá Fhéile Pádraig

Waiting to dance. Pen & watercolour in A5 sketchbook © Sue Pownall
I hate going to pubs on my own and very, very rarely do it. In fact, I can honestly not remember the last time it happened. Friday was an exception. The new Irish bar, O'Malley's at the Radisson Blu, was having Irish dancers perform in the bar so I gathered sketchbooks, pens and watercolours, took a deep breath and went in.
Just one more, Pen & watercolour in A5 sketchbook © Sue Pownall
I bought a drink (not Guinness as I don't drink beer in any form), found out where the dancers would perform, then sat down at a table.  First up was a sketch of two guys sat at the bar. They ordered "just one more" when I arrived and had 2 or 3 "one mores" before they left, which I think accounts for the slump of the guy on the right.
Irish dancers, Watercolour
Next, I sketched one of the dancers with amazing black, long, wavy hair and long legs sat on a bar stool waiting to dance. She was dressed in black shorts, tights, and under Tshirt with a green top, and I chose to add green to that. (Top sketch)

Dinner for the band. Pen & watercolour in A5 sketchbook © Sue Pownall
Using a paintbrush I then tried to capture the dancers, but it was a bit dark and I soon gave up to watch. However, after they finished I then sketched the band whilst they ate their dinner (the green was added at home from memory). That completed my A5 sketchbook, which was started on November 24th.
Boxty Band. Pen & watercolour in A5 sketchbook © Sue Pownall

I moved seats to the bar, feeling very conspicuous, in order to watch the band play. Luckily, my mum posted me out a new A5 Daler Ebony sketchbook that arrived a couple of weeks ago and after a little hesitation, I sketched the band members. They were not stood in this order and there were only 4 of them, but one guy played 2 instruments to I sketched him twice. I should have had 6 figures, but had put my sketchbook away when the accordion player played a short piece on a flute.

Happy St Patrick's Day everyone.

*****

My quarterly newsletter is due out next week.
 Will you receive your copy? 
If you haven't subscribed yet, the form's under the Newsletter tab above.