Saturday, August 13, 2011

Out of the handbag III (UK)

Across the river. Ink in A6 sketchbook© Sue Pownall 2011
Here are a few sketches from my A6 handbag sketchbook drawn over the last couple of weeks. Last Saturday, my parents & I went up to the Royal Academy to see their Summer exhibition, so I sketched on the train up.
© Sue Pownall 2011
© Sue Pownall 2011
 We then went over to Sadler's Wells to see the amazing show Fela!. First I sketched the musicians on stage and then the audience listening to them before the show started.
© Sue Pownall 2011
Fela! Pen & ink and watercolour in A6 sketchbook.© Sue Pownall 2011
I didn't think the sketchbook took watercolour as the pages are thin, but couldn't resist adding colour to the stage of Fela! after I returned from watching the fabulous show. It took quite well, luckily.

© Sue Pownall 2011
Wednesday I went back up to London to see the Watercolour exhibition at Tate Britain. Fantastic exhibition and very inspirational! I drew the woman doing the crossword on the train up. After the exhibition, I caught the water taxi to the Tate Modern, where I went to my favourite cafe on the 7th floor and, inspired by the watercolour exhibition, drew the view across the river. (Posted at top of this post). It took 30 minutes, which for those who know me, is a long time for me on a single sketch.