Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Silver & pearls

Silver & pearls. 170x200mm © Sue Pownall 2012
I was asked to draw some more Arabic jewellery and chose this necklace, which I was given when I lived in Oman before. Building on earlier work produced for QMA, I decided to follow the same style. With this the outline and 90% of the drawing was drawn with a 0.3 nib. My usual work, like the portraits and landscapes are drawn using a 0.1 and 0.05 with a 0.3 being used only for dark accents. Drawing first with an 0.3 gives me a very scary feeling. However, I battled past the nerves and this drawing was mainly finished on the day I started it, but it's had a 2 week wait to finish it due to some commissions, which obviously took precedence. This morning I was awoken at 5.30 and after refusing to be awake until 6am - eyes tightly screwed shut, whilst chanting I am not awake - I gave up and finished this over my first cuppa. Do you like it?

*******
Edit: To answer the question asked below by Mimi & John, this was drawn entirely using Rotring pens. I'm not a traditionalist and I'm very messy, so rarely use fountain or dip pens, although I occassionally use brushes. My pen of choice is a Staedtler Pigment liner.

oops just realised it's almost time for my summer newsletter. There will be a special offer, so make sure you have signed up for it using the tab above.