Saturday, August 4, 2012

Shakespeare & starlight

© Sue Pownall 2012

I have had the opportunity to go out with the Barcelona sketches twice more since the SketchCrawl.First, I met the group at Parc de l'Estacio del Nord for an outside performance of Love Labour's Lost. The play was performed by Parking Shakespeare www.parkingshakespeare.com who are very good.
Parking Shakespeare performing in the park.

© Sue Pownall 2012

Despite it being in Catalan, and understanding about 10 words, it was really enjoyable. Most of us sat together drawing whilst watching. I have to say the most impressive was the scene drawn by Sagar sagar but as always I like my new friend Cesar's drawing too, and can't wait to see it finished on his blog.

Barcelona from Hotel America © Sue Pownall 2012

Shot with my Galaxy I at midnight
Last Saturday, we met for a night sketching session. The amazing artist Miguel Herranz (Freekhand) freshly back from the Urban Sketchers Symposium was with us. It was amazing to look through his sketchbook and see his drawings and to hear the stories from the symposium. We started on the roof terrace of the Hotel America after a wander through Barcelona's streets.

More walking followed as we went for something to eat before going to our last locations. Some of us chose to draw La Pedreira (Casa Mila) whilst others another impressive building nearby. Cesar lent me his Sailor pen, which I now covet, which was perfect for the solid black lines. At midnight the main illumination was turned off, leaving the roofline lit, and I headed back to the apartment.
© Sue Pownall 2012
I think Barcelona is the place this nomad can finally settle, so am starting to see about returning after my contract finishes in Muscat. Watch this blog for more details.
*****
Sorry about the quality of the pics, I didn't pack my scanner.