Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Dubai doodles

Burj Al Arab from Costa's - Friday.Water colour & ink A5 sketchbook.
Two weekends ago I went to Dubai as I'd received a invite to the opening day of Art Dubai. Having never attended this event I thought it would be an interesting opportunity, especially as the Global Art Forum is run in conjunction with it. Naturally I took my sketchbook and camera, and these are the pictures from the 3 days I was there.
Lemon mint juice in Dome - Wednesday after arrival.Watercolour on pencil A5 sketchbook.
 After checking into my hotel, I had some lunch which was served with a beautiful acid green lemonmint drink, which cried out to be painted. I grabbed a pencil from my bag and then used watercolours to try to capture the colours, whilst eating a scrummy sandwich and chips. It looks better in the original, my scanner's washed it out a bit.
Rough seas on Jumeriah Beach Thursday.
Global Art Forum - Thursday Ink A5 sketchbook.
The next day we had a dust storm in the morning and afterwards was a lovely refreshing wind. Although it was a bit overcast, I went to the beach near the Art Dubai site and after sitting watching the waves for awhile I tried to paint them. (My scanner couldn't cope with this, so it was lucky I took a photo). From the beach I went to the Global Art Forum where there were really interesting discussions and talks.
Global Art Forum - Friday. Ink A5 sketchbook
 I returned to the forum on Friday, after I checked out and left my bag for the afternoon, I was a little early so investigated Souq Madinate Jumeriah. Sitting in Costas for their free wifi, I painted the stunning view of the iconic Burj Al Arab. Finishing off the weekend, I sketched a couple of pages at the forum before heading to collect my bag on route to the airport.