Friday, October 5, 2012

Sketch Muscat 3

SketchMuscat 3 at Costa's Shatti   A5 sketchbook © Sue Pownall 2012
I'm slowly generating interest in sketching here in Muscat and I arranged another event for yesterday. It was the most successful so far with over 30 people attending, and more turning up after we had stopped due to poor light (it was actually too dark too see).

People of all ages joined in; Mr Shakil brought his whole family along and everyone from mother-in-law down to his youngest child drew. I was especially pleased that quite a few Omanis joined us as, like sport, I think art can join communities. The enthusiasm of the children was the best part as they ran around showing what they had drawn.
Grandmother & grandchildren on SketchMuscat 3
I arrived nearly an hour early as I anticipated lack of sketching time for me due to over 70 people saying they would attend via the facebook event page. I grabbed a couple of tables under the shade and drew my snack. I finally tested the waterbrush that my Barcelona friends had said to buy along with Intense pencils (bought this week as I need a pink pencil for a breast-cancer awareness charity event) and later shared these new toys with others. I did sketch a few people on the beach after people started arriving, but spent most of the 2.5 hours talking to the participants.
Grandmother proudly showing off her sketch.
An amazing young talent. Photo by Kavitha.
I think everyone had fun and I was especially pleased to keep getting asked "When is the next one?". About a month's time is the answer.

Beach scenes A5 sketchbook © Sue Pownall 2012