Thursday, December 23, 2010

Merry Christmas

Bethlehem Star 130x130mm
Prompted by the Illustration Friday theme of Phenomenon (9th December), I thought it appropriate for the time of year to draw the celestial phenomenon of the Bethlehem star. Like the Magi, who arrived on 12th night (Epiphany), I thought I would finish this about then, after all, who draws a night sky with a 0.1 pen?? I was attempting a woodcut effect when I started, but it seems to have morphed, and yes I did end up using a 0.3 and 0.5 pen as well. This is the first time ever that I have drawn a Christmas illustration, so all I have to do is get it scanned properly and I have next year's cards! The reference photo was from a brilliant photo by Gary, which you can see here.

Merry Christmas everyone.
May God bless you and your family.