Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Muscat exhibition

As I wrote in my last post, I was lucky enough to be invited to participate in the Oman-Africa event to celebrate 40 years' rule by His Majesty Sultan Qaboos. In the end I had 3 pieces hung of which you can see two in the picture above.

I think I'm not in a good place at the moment as even when I saw my pictures hung, I had negative thoughts...
  • The framing is wrong. The framers reduced the area of the pictures, not a problem on the 1st two, but I took the last one to my edges and had to trim it to get it in the mount. I was non-specific about sizes, and they cut a narrower mount than I envisaged, which I also didn't specify. Live and learn! 
  • They look so small. Everyone had huge paintings.
  • I shouldn't have brought the third piece as it's not as good as the other two. 
  • I should have worked harder and done more pieces.
  • The exhibition space is not good.
Maybe the reason I felt/feel like this is because I do have drawings hung in various peoples houses (not just my parents'), and I have done since I was at college, so to see my pictures hung was not really a new experience? Maybe if the event had only been an exhibition it would have seemed different?

15th Street Mosque, Khartoum
I know I need to change my thinking. I need to focus on the positive.
  • I took part in an exhibition.
  • I got some finished pieces done, instead of just sketching.
  • I do not know what interest may have been generated.
  • Everyone has to start somewhere.
  • The event was a success for the organisers. (I must stop being so egotistical in my positive thinking.)
Am I alone in this experience? Am I the only one who hasn't bounced for joy at their first exhibition? I would love to hear your experiences.