Friday, March 4, 2011

Beauty & the frizz.

Pedicurist I, Pen & ink. A6 Sketchbook.©Sue Pownall 2011
Qatar is tough on beauty! As the water is desalinated hair rapidly takes on the quality of a brillopad (scouring pad), especially if, like me, you have curly hair. Add to that the constant dust,AC, and heat and you have a recipe for beauty disaster. Being in a new country and shy of hairdressers, who always cut too much off, I haven't had a hair cut here since I left UK in September. Furthermore, I don't have a car and would have to rely on taxis to take me to the out-of-the way salons which were recommended to me as a counter to the "omg how much?" hotel salons. However, yesterday I could not stand the frizz any longer and went around the corner to the local Filipino salon, where, naturally all the length of my hair was removed along with some of the frizz.
Pedicurist II, Pen & ink. A6 Sketchbook.©Sue Pownall 2011
Whilst waiting for my turn, I sketched two of the Filipino pedicurists working on their clients. All the beauticians wear masks as a left over from the H1N1 scare of the other year. Due to this, I found these portraits interesting to draw and was disappointed when I was called for my haircut.