Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Doha SketchCrawl plus.

Pencil in A5 sketchbook. © Sue Pownall 2011
Last Saturday I arranged another Doha SketchCrawl. On the day we lost four sketchers; one due to a flood in their apartment, the other had to work, one was in hospital (get well soon Maria), and one got time/places confused. However, two new women turned up, plus a friend and myself, at the meeting point - Museum of Islamic Art (MIA). Note to self, catch up with friends before I'm due to start sketching, as my friend and I did a big catch up and little drawing.We wandered around the upper-galleries, which I hadn't visited before, then stopped in the last gallery to draw this example of armour.

View from MIA.
Abandoned view

Going back downstairs I wanted to draw the heavy machinery working on the new museum park. Not concentrating and feeling bad after the physio I'd had earlier, I didn't scale nor compose it properly and gave up. Meeting up with the other ladies for a show and tell, they put my friend and I to shame with the number of sketches they had done. ho hum

Thank you everyone for showing concern over my health. So far I have had 3 physio sessions, but they are not offering any relief, in fact seem to be aggravating things. Currently, I'm on sick leave (again) trying to rest and see if that helps things. However, when I was in physio, I sketched the pillows in front of me - all I could see while strapped to a machine.

On the 1st, I went to a fabulous concert by the Qatar Philharmonic Orchestra with the conductor/violinist Salvatore Accardo playing Beethoven, Vivaldi & Rossini. Magical. I sketched a little but it was too dark and the music too good to do anything but listen.
Pen & ink in A6 sketchbook. © Sue Pownall 2011
Finally, another musical sketch from when I was the first to arrive to meet some friends, so drew the piano.
Pen & ink in A6 sketchbook. © Sue Pownall 2011