Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Fanja revisited

Fanja Revisited, 330 x 240 mm, Pen & ink.© Sue Pownall 2012
I was asked to produce a new drawing of this by Bait Muzna Gallery when I took them my portfolio. As I've drawn this subject before and from the same reference photo I had to make some changes to the new version. It was initially quite a challenge, but then I realised my drawing style has altered, developed since the first drawing in 2008 (below), and I am more interpretive rather than literal of my subjects now. Once I had the basic drawing done and the light source decided the tonal work was done without the reference. I think it has worked well. I was a bit reluctant to draw more ruins, especially as my head (and reference folder) is full of portraits I want to do, however I enjoyed this one more than On Guard.
Fanja Fort, Pen & ink.© Sue Pownall 2008