Friday, December 21, 2012

Mayan Prophecy

Capturing shadows A4 sketchbook © Sue Pownall 2012
In case the Mayan prophercy was true, I arranged SketchMuscat 4 for yesterday morning. What better way to spend the last day on earth than sketching if you can't be with your family? A small group of us sketched at Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque, Muscat. The weather is perfect now to sketch outside and we all enjoyed wandering around the beautiful complex.
Changing bulbs in the mesjid. A4 sketchbook

I'd planned to draw the gardens and complex buildings to enjoy the weather to its fullest. However, my first potential subject seemed tooooo huge for a first sketch, so I headed into the main mesjid (mosque). Inside men where on a huge crane changing lightbulbs and I knew I had to record this unusual event. Then I went back outside and did my second sketch of the morning, which was the watercolour of the shadows. I hadn't planned a tonal work, but that's what  happened.
I wouldn't like their job!

My latest newletter just went out.
You can read it here - http://eepurl.com/qQnIr and maybe you would like to subscribe for the next edition?