Sunday, December 30, 2012

Tennis time.

Relaxing on beanbags prior to the 5pm start
On Thursday I was in Abu Dhabi, UAE, for the Mubadala World Tennis Championship. My mum got me the ticket as a birthday present. Nadal was scheduled to play, but pulled out the day before due to illness on top of his on-going knee injury, which was a little disappointing. However the tennis I saw was good.

Queueing for Djokovic's autograph
I arrived at the ground early and armed with my sketchbook drew the people around me. The first sketch was from the bar of people watching the kids activities out on a field. Followed by the massive queue of people waiting for Novak Djokovic's autograph. Finally, I drew people chillin out on beanbags from my own beanbag.
In the bar watching the kids events

My A5 sketchbook
Inside the stadium I watched Andy Murray lose his match against Janko Tipsarevic, then an exciting match between David Ferrer and Tomas Berdych, which Ferrer won. Surprisingly, play got delayed due to rain, although unlike Wimbledon it was all over in a few moments, the lines were dried and play restarted.
The raincloud.
Ferrer V Berdych at Tennis Complex, Zayed Sports City, Abu Dhabi
Please forgive the quality of the scans, I am busy working on my end of year post and do not have time to fiddle with colour correction etc.