Thursday, April 15, 2010

Virtual Paintout - Canary Islands April 2010

I was getting ready for work this morning when I got a phone call telling me the day had been declared a holiday. It was given in order for people to have opportunity to vote in the first Sudanese elections in 24 years. So, inspired by Terry, check out his pictures here, I thought I would do a quick painting.

Virtual paintout is an idea hosted by Bill Guffey and aims to use:
"Google Street View as a resource for traveling the world to find interesting locations and subjects to paint."
Having seen cyber buddies posting interesting paintings, I thought this would be where I would start today. One of the most difficult things was finding the view I wanted to paint. The other thing was that my watercolour pad is quiet old and it seems as if the paper has deteriorated and does not take the water well anymore (soaks it up etc). Oh, and I managed to dunk my brushes in my tea more than once ugh. 

Left  Is the google map I used, the link is here.
My original painting is 200x125mm on old  W&N Cotman 140lb paper.

Checkout other pictures at virtualpaintout.