Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Mimi's question answered...

Mimi of Watercolors by Mimi Torchia Boothby asked: "can you put into words why you don't want to leave? (especially after the police incident!!?)".
 
This is the type of police car I got sandwiched in 
(taken swiftly with phone from minibus)

A difficult question Mimi, and one I would normally answer on my other blog, but I will try.
 
Work and living conditions were difficult (I never want to live in a hotel again and the hours were long), but somehow I felt comfortable in Khartoum. For all my travelling and living abroad (it's been 10 years now), it was like my soul had found where it should be. I loved the quiet life, maybe that's what I need now after the years in Oman. Just going for a juice or to sit in a park and chat is so peaceful. The last 4 months there have been easy for me as a well-paid expat, but that's not why. Most importantly, the people are amazing - the nicest, kindest, friendliest people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. My post from May (I'm in love) gives a great example of this.
 It is difficult to explain the feeling I get there; it's a bit trying to explain why you love a certain person or a specific food. I think it comes down to the fantastic people and a feeling of peace that I got there. Hope that helps Mimi.