Monday, January 10, 2011

Cute eritrean guys

The Final at Khalifa Stadium Pen & ink sketch A5 ©Sue Pownall 2011
Answering my door on Saturday afternoon, I was confronted with a colleague offering me his tennis final ticket for that evening as he couldn't go. With only just enough time to change into a long-sleeved T-shirt and get my fleece, I grabbed a taxi and hot-footed over to the tennis stadium arriving a few minutes after the stands had opened. The ticket was for the upper stands and I got a great seat second row back from the railing. As there was an hour to the start and despite the failing light, it was sunset, I sketched the top of the stand opposite as it filled up. I had to stop when it got too dark. Whilst drawing I planned the Payne's grey wash for the skyline and added it today.

Unfortunately, Nadal had been knocked out in the semis the day before, so the final was Federal V Davydenko. They both played well, although Federer dominated the first set, but in the second set his play went up a notch and he was absolutely awesome to watch, and consequently won.
The winner!
Closing ceremony of the Qatar ExxonMobil Open final 2011
On another note. Marian wrote a post recently about traffic sources, blogger here has changed how you view stats, and with my curiosity arose I looked at the keywords used and had to laugh... one poor soul searched for "cute eritrean guys" and ended up with my sketches. Now you know the reason for the post title.