Friday, October 15, 2010

The energy of flamenco

This watercolour is just for me, an experiment, some fun.
On Wednesday, I went to the see the dancers of Ballet Carmen Cantero give a free Spanish folklore and flamenco performance at the Qatar National Theatre. Once all the dignitaries from both the Ministry of culture, arts and heritage, and the Spanish Embassy, along with their guests had sat down, there was nearly 2 hours of dancing.

Unfortunately, it was too dark to sketch; besides I didn't want to miss a moment of the dancing, so today I wanted to capture some of that energy and have some fun. I didn't do any drawing here, but went straight in with watercolour on 24 x 32 cm 185gm cold pressed paper.  btw Not having a scanner the colours are not correct. It is on white paper, which gives a better colour contrast than here with its bluish tinges.