Sunday, February 19, 2012

Sketching Muscat Festival IX

Wednesday, feeling a little lazy after a long week working on a portrait, and as the performers arrived late, I just sketched people whilst watching and enjoying the evening. Stood by the tea stand, I sketched the men performing and standing around (below). Then I went and sketched the ladies with their wool and weaving (above).
Sketching the drawing above. Photo by Nasser Al-Jabri
Very embarrassing, one photographer Nasser, asked if he could take my photo as I drew the ladies. Then the swarm descended and I think there were about 6 photographers taking my pic. This one by Nasser is the only one I've seen, so i'm curious about the others.

Friday, I went to meet Omani artist Yousuf Ali Al-Nahwi. I didn't want to draw as I had spent the whole weekend working on the portrait and the detailed work had made my head and eyes ache. We had a fun afternoon and evening taking lots and lots of reference photos, discussing painting, ideas etc. We watched the show at 6.30 near the tv presenters (see last post) and photo below.
The presenters
Then after getting something to eat we discovered a show by Chinese acrobats, which was fantastic. Here are a few of my photos:
Qurayatt boy © Sue Pownall 2012
Casual © Sue Pownall 2012
Happy © Sue Pownall 2012
Qurayatt drummers © Sue Pownall 2012
Here I am © Sue Pownall 2012
 Twirl © Sue Pownall 2012
There are more photos in my Oman set on flickr.