Thursday, February 9, 2012

Sketching Muscat Festival VI

Waiting to dance Watercolour, A5 sketchbook © Sue Pownall 2012
My last couple of visits to the festival have been all about colour. Three of five pages are watercolours plus I spent most of Tuesday using my camera to capture the colours of the beautiful clothes. The top sketch was painted on my arrival on Wednesday, whereas the one below was done the day before.
In the Beduin tent, pen & watercolour in A5 sketchbook © Sue Pownall 2012
The In the beduin tent sketch is actually a slightly warmer colour, and I apologise for not spending hours correcting it, but I got cold last night and don't feel 100%. Below is one of my favourite costume shots to date.
Sewing © Sue Pownall 2012
I had to paint the chai (tea) sellers as this is another of my regular stops at the Festival. It is inside the Heritage Village and I normally buy a cup of chai around 5pm. They don't make it too sweet and I like the herbs it is made with.  I'd perched near the owner Mr Adnan whilst drawing and was highly embarrassed when he showed his staff the sketch on completion. I think I will be charged double for my tea tomorrow.
Chai, pen & watercolour in A5 sketchbook © Sue Pownall 2012
After I had finished this last sketch I sat in the women's area to watch the main event. The picture below shows the rearview of the women I had painted almost 3 hours earlier (top sketch) with drummers stood facing them. I took a video too which I will upload and share another day.
Earlier, I had taken this photo of some young men in the early evening sunshine enjoying some drumming. This is just one of several photos I have posted in my flickr photostream if you are interested in seeing more.
A face in the crowd © Sue Pownall 2012
From the Heritage Village I watched the musical fountains again, then I got something to eat and watched a British Council sponsored dance/acrobatic troup perform, but as I was cold in just a thin jumper and scarf I thought I would leave...  BUT I discovered there was some flamenco dance and singing on a stage, so stopped and watched that. I have discovered that I think about drawing dancers whenever I watch them, but can't as I don't want to take my eyes off them. I then went home with the car heater on full blast trying to warm up. I apologise to everyone in Europe for complaining when the nighttime temperatures are around 12-15c but I don't have a coat and it is cold for here.