Saturday, February 20, 2010

Sketching inside and out


Yesterday, it rained and rained and rained. I had a couple of hours to kill so went to the mall at Lingotto. Whilst there I was fascinated to watch the people sitting around. It was not the most successful sketching session: I couldn't sketch very much as I was eating a huge piece of carrot cake, which was too delicious to stop and draw; the 1st man, in the cap, moved his chair to a new position; the 2nd took off his hat; the lady reading a menu decided; and finally the young lady decided to get "friendly" with her boyfriend - too much to watch.
In contrast, today it was a lovely day here in Turin. It was even warm enough for me to sit and do a quick sketch of a band playing in the Piazza Vittorio Veneto as part of a demonstration against something. After 5 minutes, I stopped as my fingers had started to freeze and coincidentally the band stopped playing. The word of Urban Sketchers must be spreading because an Italian student asked me if I was a journalist, and checked out the very rough sketch posted above.